4/29/11

Out of Destruction...Blessings

It is with a heavy heart that I post today.  The destruction that has occurred in my state is overwhelming. Although I do not live now in the devastated areas I have lived there.  My #1 son lives in Tuscaloosa a few blocks from the University Mall, but his home was spared. His friends are safe. Thank you!

The towns of Hackleburg and Phil Campbell both flattened (probably an EF5 tornado tracked from Smithville, MS through Marion County in Northwest Alabama) are within miles of my childhood hometown. So much hurt there.  Cordova in Wallker County suffered a direct hit too. Cullman, Pleasant Grove, Hueytown, Pratt City and the list goes on...

In Etowah County the same tornado that came through Tuscaloosa and Jefferson County left its mark. My brother and his family witnessed it in the air over their home. The wonderful outdoor facility where we go each year to listen and play music had major damage.

Then as the night wore on my Tennessee daughter hovered in the basement of their home as the same tornado line made its way into her area. Thankfully she had no damage although some there were not so lucky.

I will not post any photos today. You can go to any of the news links and view the furious destruction that Mother Nature can unleash...

But I titled this post "Blessings" and I do feel blessed. My family is safe. I see people caring for others. My sweet young friend's school has organized and sent seven (7) trucks to Tuscaloosa packed with supplies for the survivors and they are collecting more. Additional schools, scouts, churches are setting up collection areas too.  People from other states are sending help. Neighbors helping neighbors...

It has been said that we all will be forever changed after experiencing the "Fury of April 27, 2011."  I have to agree.

From "sweet home Alabama", have a Blessed Day!!

Jan

2 comments:

Elizabeth Ann said...

Excellent post Jan!
Elizabeth Ann

The Auction Queen said...

I am so glad your family is safe!! It has to be the worst day in Alabama since 1974...When we had a similar outbreak of tornados. My heart aches for all the people affected.