1/16/12

Mardi Gras Table

I was up to the challenge...I knew I could complete the task...I had my game face on...I was ready...

The challenge?  Set a table!  Well that is no problem!  I do that daily!
But now here's the catch...use paper products!

Soooo, off  to the Dollar Tree for those must have items!  Walking down the aisles I found lots and lots of paper products...birthday, wedding, school, valentine's day, mardi gras...whoa, stop right there!  Mardi Gras!  There's my inspiration!

I've always loved the colors of mardi gras...
Purple signifies justice
Gold:    represents power
Greenstands for faith


Bright, colorful, fun...party time!

I decided to use the hubby's handcrafted table for our lunch party for two!  He built this table using the old western cedar that had been torn off the lake house's old porch.  Very nice if I do say so myself!! LOL!!


On top of my red chargers I placed the square paper plate.  Aren't the colors pretty?


Inside the sherbet I placed the paper napkins and of course the mask.  At the mardi gras parties most party-goers wear masks!

Additional masks were scattered around the table.

I used my cake stands to add height to the center piece.


I added part of the King Cake (most of it had been eaten, gobbled up, and the baby had been found before I started this challenge)  on the the first cake plate.  Adding the beads, masks, and the crown made a simple but festive center to the table.



And there you have it...mardi gras lunch for two!





The King Cake is an apple cinnamon pecan...yummy!





The paper products worked well for this lunch...





The meal you ask?
The hubby and I sat down to gumbo, salad with greens from our his garden, crusty bread, and a glass of wine!
All in all a very fun party!!

Have you used paper products in your home lately?  Please share!  I like to hear your ideas!!

See ya down the junkin' road!!

Jan

Partying with:








Boogieboard Cottage


Making

http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/2012/01/seasonal-sundays-83kitchen-blues.html 

21 comments:

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Wow, I was browsing around blogland at just the right time to see your new post. I love your setting! You really made a fun paper tablescape just gorgeous! Oooohh, your cake has me drooling too.

LizlovesVintage said...

That cake.. I've never tasted a King cake. From the looks of things. You had fun and that's all that matters. What vibrant colors! One day I'll go to New Orleans to celebrate. One day..
Thanks for leaving me comments on my Blog. I just wish I was quicker to respond ;)
Have a great week.
xxx Liz

DearHelenHartman said...

Laissez les bons temps rouler! Looks great and the menu sounds yummy.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Fun table. I don't use a lot of paper products on my table but this was a very festive and inexpensive way to celebrate! I love Mardi Gras!
hugs, Linda

Scribbler said...

Thanks for stopping by! I love finding new friends.

Such a festive lunch! I may try something a little different this year with my Mardi Gras decs. The paper goods are really pretty -- I need to head over to Dollar Tree.

Jojo said...

I love your table setting! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment too.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Fabulous Mardi Gras colors. Beautiful!

chateau chic said...

What a fun and festive table setting. Paper products today come in such a wonderful assortment of colors and themes.
Your newest follower, Mary Alice

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Wow what a colorful and fab colors. Perfect for Mardi Gras. I never knew paper products come in such great colors.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Oh I miss Mardi Gras! We used to live in MS and the kids would have off from school that week. No parades around. I usually get one king cake but it's not the same!

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Jan,

At our home we seldom use any paper products. Coming from the 'Old World' has made us a lot more aware of the environment. So we limit the production of trash, any trash.
But at least you did have a fun Mardi Gras lunch and the colors were perfect for it!
When we lived and worked near Venice Italy, we could have gone to such a ball, wearing costumes and masks but the admission of $ 1,000.00 was above our budget!
Love to you,

Mariette

Grammy Goodwill said...

I love it! Hubby and I just got back from New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. We got bitten by the Mardi Gras bug after we visited Mardi Gras World where most of the floats are made. I'd like to do a table setting, too.

Denise at Forest Manor said...

Hi Jan,

Your Mardi Gras table looks so pretty and festive! When our son was a toddler, I always had a covered dish party at our home in mid-December. It was to celebrate my husband's birthday, and the house was always decorated for Christmas. I always bought pretty Christmas paper plates and matching napkins because I didn't have a lot of pretty dishes in those days -- certainly not Christmas dishes. I still buy the paper stuff to use for snacks during the holidays.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comments! I'm now following on your blog, as well. I enjoyed reading your posts.

Hope you have a great week.

Denise

Eileen said...

What a great looking table you made from paper goods! I love that colorful mardi gras theme, and you pulled it off beautifully.
Eileen@cottage beach house

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Your Mardi Gras table looks very festive, and your menu sounds so enticing. The last time we used paper products was Christmas Eve when we had a lot of people at our house. Sometimes I wish we used them more because we don't have a dishwasher in our old cottage!

Sue said...

Hi Jan.....love your table setting with the paper products. You put it together very nicely! Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comment. I'm your newest follower.
Sue

Sue said...

Hi Jan.....love your table setting with the paper products. You put it together very nicely! Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comment. I'm your newest follower.
Sue

Sue said...

Hi Jan.....love your table setting with the paper products. You put it together very nicely! Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comment. I'm your newest follower.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I LOVE the colors! I was so glad to see you use paper products. I always use them with a crowd. I used them here in my Halloween table too.
http://lisatakesix.blogspot.com/2011/10/tangled-web.html

Jeannie Marie said...

Beautiful! I love bright colors too.

Marsha said...

Hey Jan. Tried to comment the other day on this post. My computere/blogger seems happier today. I've picked up some of those same plates at my Dollar Tree. I can't wait to put out my Mardi Gras decorations. I guess I can go ahead and start since the season has already begun. Gotta put up my Winter White Mercury Glass tablescape, first.