3/27/12

Porch Love

I LOVE PORCHES!

I think my love of porches goes waaaaay back to early childhood with time spent at my grandparents' house!  Days always began on the front porch in the swing reading the daily comic page!  The back porch was reserved for work related activities! Early nighttime was spent on the screened in side porch! And the wonderful times we shared...so many wonderful memories!

So today I will share with you a few favorite porches that are featured in the Southern Living magazine! 

( I understand the reason for painting a porch ceiling blue is to help keep the insects away! 
Whatever the reason it is very pretty! )

( deck area )

( Appalachian Round )
( Charleston Style )
 ( Entertaining Porch )

( Live-in Back Porch )

Gorgeous, aren't they all?  So hard to pick just one favorite!!
Do you have a porch?  Have you gotten it ready for the season?  We have had soooo much pollen that it has been difficult to work outside!  The hubby and I have started the work needed to ready the porch for the spring and summer season! ( between sneezes...aaah-chooo!)

See ya down the junkin' road!!

Jan

Partying today with...

13 comments:

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Yes I love porches too! Now since I have two (front and screened porch in back) I find I use them alot. Oh yes, there is so much pollen. Also repainting both porches so can't wait to see the end results.

Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Lovely inspirational porch photos. I didn't know that a blue ceiling keeps insects away!!!

Unknown said...

Just beautiful photos! Can't wait to use the porch all summer!

Angela said...

I love the entertaining porch but adore the blue ceiling on the first photo!

Marsha said...

Oh, all those porches are beautiful!
We have started to clean-up, but like you, we have a good bit of pollen. I just wish we didn't have the heat here in Alabama like we do.

Suzanne said...

I love porches, too! The irony is I don't have one. Sigh. I do love looking at these, though. Thanks for sharing!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love porches! These are wonderful!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Jan, I am such a lover of porches also. That was one of the stipulations I told the realtor when looking for a new home. "It must have a porch". I also wanted a South facing home if possible. Lucked out and got both. Just wanted to let you know that I am featuring your old toys post on Share Your Cup Thursday later today. Would love for you to share again!
Hugs,
Jann

Little Miss Maggie said...

The reason porch ceilings are painted blue is to keep the evil spirits away. This dates back to the old south. I just came back from Savannah and all the porch ceilings are painted a shade of blue.

Princess Kate said...

I'm with you. I love porches. I have a covered fireplace/porch in my backyard and I basically live there all year round. Thanks for sharing.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I could live in any of these porches and be perfectly happy. I do love the blue ceiling too. Great inspiration!

Maureen Wyatt said...

I don't believe I've ever heard why porch ceilings are blue. I thought it was to look like the sky. I have a porch across the front of my house and it's getting a mini makeover this year. I'd love it to look like your first pic! ~ Maureen

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

So many great shots!
Looking forward to springtime and when I am sure the winter is truly gone so I can pull all my things out and get ready to enjoy the outdoors again~

Great post!