5/5/12

Kentucky Derby Hats

 (photo Churchill Downs)

My friend and me aren't going to the races...no Churchill Downs...no Louisville...no runnin' for the roses...no Kentucky Derby...no celebrity watching...

 (Famed actress Claudette Colbert attends the 1950 Derby. Photo: Churchill Downs-Kinetic Corp)

BUT...we can have our own party...watch the horses on television...decorate with flowers...AND design our derby hats!!

(Frank Couch)
Wearing hats at the racetrack is as much a tradition as serving mint juleps and singing
 My Old Kentucky Home...

Designing hats is a foreign experience for me.  Hats are lovely.  I wear hats in winter to protect from the cold wind.  I wear hats in the summer to help shade my face from the intense sunshine.  But, never, no, never, have I designed a Kentucky Derby Hat!

So I needed a little inspiration...

(hatsinthebelfy)


(hat-a-tude.com)
 (photo Churchill Downs)
(photo Churchill Downs)
  (photo Churchill Downs)
(photo Churchill Downs)
   Hats and horses...there seems to be a love affair...    Is there a song hidden somewhere in that line?
Overflowing with inspiration, my friend and me MUST get down to designing our own...because as y'all know the races are about to begin!!

See ya down the junkin' road!!

Jan


Partying with...

9 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

Beautiful hats!

My Pink, have a great weekend!

C said...

Thanks for sharing these Jan. I love the pink one! Happy Pink Saturday.

Decor To Adore said...

I love all the touches of pink!

Happy pink Saturday, Happy Derby Day and ¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Please stop by and enter my celebrate spring/moms giveaway.

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Jan. I am so glad you joined us today.

We just watched the Derby a bit ago, and I had on my pink hat.

I sent you an e-mail earlier today, and I hope I hear from you soon.

1CardCreator said...

Love your hats!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Isn't this a fun tradition? I'm sure your hat will be fabulous. Be sure to let us all see:-)

Calypso In The Country said...

I love those Derby hats! I was disappointed we didn't go to a party this year!
-Shelley

Connie said...

You have created a gorgeous blog . . . it is totally captivating. I am a hat person and these are amazing. I will be back. Right now I'm having a little problem, when I follow a blog, I have lost my thumbprint, now I get a blue silhouette . . . maybe you know the answer. I would love to follow your blog, but hate following without a thumbprint. Trying to figure out how to fix it. Have a great day. I Love your site. Come on over my welcome matt is always out. Connie :)

water Zorb Balls said...

I simply want to tell you that I am all new to blogging and honestly loved this web page. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog post . You definitely have remarkable stories. Thanks a bunch for sharing your web page.