8/1/11

Dirt Cheap Thrifty Shopping

Let me tell you a story, a true story of where the junkin's road has taken my friend and me this time...

As all of you know I love to travel!  
("That's an understatement!", says my friend. "Just mention GO and you are ready to start the car!")
Anyway, I travel, period! And when I find new places (especially if I find some GOOD junk)  then I get excited and want to share my "finds!"
Soooo, as my friend and me were leaving one of the thrifts in good old T'town (that's Tuscaloosa, AL) I spied this...

That's right a brand new store, located on Skyland Blvd., with lots of good parking!

The stores, Dirt Cheap, came from an idea to empty the shelves of parent store, Treasure Hunt, in their warehouse location, Lumberton, MS.  Needless to say it was a huge success and 25 years later Treasure Hunt/Dirt Cheap is still going strong!  The company is the largest buyer of insurance claims in the United States. They have also added other distressed situations, such as...manufacturer and retailer buybacks, closeouts, bankruptcies, overstocks, liquidations, customer returns and out of season goods.  Now granted some of these items are damaged goods.  However, all good junkers know the thrill is in the hunt!  If you are willing to dig then treasures can be found for CHEAP!!

My friend introduced me to Dirt Cheap when the hubby and I were visiting in Louisiana (remember I love to travel!!)  Everyone in the group came home with wonderful treasures from that trip!!
Then, I found Dirt Cheap in Cottondale (outside of Tuscaloosa) and bought many things.  But today was the first time to visit this new store!

You never know what merchandise is available! And in all stores like this if you see it, want it, then you better buy it because it probably won't be there the next time you go!
I just couldn't resist this cupcake tower...

Cute, RED, perfect shape, and CHEAP, $2.00. Hey, what can I say?!!

Most of you will remember the terrible outbreak of tornadoes that literally tore through Alabama, April 27, 2011. The Tuscaloosa area was hit hard.  So that being said, I don't know if this store is especially catering to the rebuilding phase or if this store plans to carry huge supplies of building materials. And there were lots and lots of building supplies...

For all those tools...notice windows, flooring, rugs
See sign...70 percent off.. (priced marked)

Boxes and boxes of tiles...
$1.79 per square foot...




So much available to rebuild homes that were destroyed...


Overstocks of books...80 percent off


End of season...

Closeouts...leather footstool
The store carries linens, clothing, toys, schools supplies and the list goes on and on...

My friend and me are already planning the next trip to T'town and making extra time to spend in Dirt Cheap! What about you? Have you found some great, cheap places to shop?

Have a Blessed Day!! And see ya down the junkin' road!!

Jan

Partying with DebbieDoos...









 Nifty Thrifty at Coastal Charm



And I want to thank Debbie for blabbing about me and southern junkin' in my post,  On the Road to Bon Secour





8 comments:

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Sure wish I couold get ahold of those wicker chairs!!! Neat store!!! XO, Pinky

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I also love the wicker chaies !!! I will be right over and we can go back to the shop.OK.
I would like to thank you so much for your lovely comments on my new Tablescapes. I hope you have a great week with your lovely family.
XXOO Diane

Pam Kessler said...

Wow, that looks like a great store. Isn't Debbie the nicest girl? I just love her.

Anonymous said...

Wish we had something like that! If the weather ever cools off, I might have to make a trip to Tuscaloosa :)

Looks like you had a great time.

Tina said...

Wish I had something like that here! Of course we would be really broke then!!!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving the wonderful comment, it is greatly appreciated!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I would be in heaven in that store! I am a shopper, but I love a bargain; and I love to hunt! That cupcake holder was a steal. I just picked one up for my daughter to give my future DIL for a shower gift. It cost me $15, and was not quite as cute as yours. Hubby and I just got home from a road trip where I found a few treasures myself. Enjoy!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Oh my...I have spent lots in this awesome store...we have one here on the coast.

Blessings,
Linda

JudyBug said...

Acckkk...I'm going nuts over the tiles. I just saw the neatest pic on Pinterest where they use the small "rock" looking tiles for placemats and chargers. So neat!