3/17/11

Nate Berkus Show & DIY Project...

Nate Berkus is an award winning decorator and now has his own television show. I think he came into the public eye through his association with Oprah! (And girl that Oprah can put anyone on the map!!)

Several times I have caught an episode of Nate's show. (It really comes on TV at the wrong time of day for me to be a follower...usually too busy!) However I was tuned in one day and caught Mindy Weiss' party planning tips. One BIG ONE, shop the 99 Cent Store! Well, who would have thought it?! As a J-GRITS (junkin' girl raised in the south!) I've known for many years to shop cheap for the biggest bang for your buck!


Many of you will remember the 5 and 10 cent stores that all small southern towns had when we were growing up. A person could buy anything from toys to needle and thread in the 5 & Dime! But I digress...


Miss Mindy had set up several party ideas displayed with all invitations, decorations, favors, flowers, you name it, coming from the 99 Cent Store. And of course I had recently visited our local Dollar Tree and picked up several items; artists' pencils, flower pot, twine, bundle of Easter grass, paper lanterns! Then Miss Mindy showed the cutest favor for a child's birthday...



This is my rendition of her DIY favor:




The cutest little pot o'pencils! I've placed it on a corner shelf with some old 45's and standing black letters. Love it!


Wishing y'all a safe and happy St. Patrick's Day!


Have a Blessed Day!! And see ya down the junkin' road!!
Jan

1 comment:

The Auction Queen said...

Hey Jan, Love the diplay you made with the records and pencil pot!! I myself, am rediscovering the 5 and dime stores that we know now as Dollar Tree. I picked up several things today at the Dollar Tree and had a good time shopping with Micah....LOL