3/8/11

"Laissez les bons temps rouler"...

My friend asks if I'm speaking a new language? No it is an expression used in Cajun French meaning "Let the Good Times Roll!" It's Mardi Gras or Carnival Season!!




The celebrations begin on or after Epiphany and culminate on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday." (referring to the practice of the last night of EATING richer, fatty foods before the ritual of the Lenten season beginning on Ash Wednesday) And make no mistake, my friend and me ATE our fair share tonight!

Although we did not partake in the popular practices of wearing masks or costumes, dancing or parades this year we did enjoy the decorations that others had made.



I LOVE the colors associated with the season!!




Another history lesson if you will indulge me; Mobile, Alabama is recognized as having the oldest continual annual Mardi Gras celebration in America having begun in 1703! Mobile is a beautiful city and I will share with y'all in a later post!


Don't you just love this large antique cabinet? It has been painted in a gorgeous shade of silver. It has that "frenchy" look!!




And who wouldn't love snuggling in this bed after a night of celebration!!




In English "Fat Tuesday" is known as "Shrove Tuesday" associated with the religious requirement for confession before Lent begins. Also in many religious groups one is asked to "give up or not consume" something for the 40 days. But this year I'm asking everyone "to show an act of kindness" each day until Easter Sunday. I think it will bring a smile to many!

Have a Blessed Day!! And see ya down the junkin' road!!
Jan

(Do you enjoy Mardi Gras? Send me a message!)

No comments: