1/24/12

Looking for Thrifty Finds

While out on the junkin' road I'm always looking for good furniture. Y'all know what I mean...sturdy, wood, solid, wood!
Then I decide how to RESTORE and  RESTYLE the old vintage piece so that it fits in perfectly with today's family!  Often I will flip through magazines and visit retail stores to see "what's hot and what's not"!! 

This bed was not very stylish anymore..dreary and damaged...

                                                                             (BHG)
But a vision was there...

                                                                       ( BHG)
With a little elbow grease, a little paint, and a little TLC this cast off is now ready for the party!

Now restyling beds into benches has been around for years but still are very popular!  I first remember seeing these in Atlanta about 10 years ago.

This is a great storage cabinet for a mudroom, playroom, or family room!
(Are you kiddin' me?  NOT in this present condition...)

                                                                        (BHG)

Wow!  Look at it now...

                                                                  (BHG)

The graphics on this are fantastic!
1.  This cabinet was first painted white.  
2.  Oversized stencils were created using contact paper and adhered to the cabinet.  
3.  Then the cabinet was painted in an earthy tone.  
4.  Contact paper removed to reveal the bight white letters.
5.  The 3D design was then created.

I think this cabinet would look great in one of the hot new colors for 2012 too!

How about you?  Do you own anything that needs a little restyle? 

My friend and me are off to scour the countryside for a sad sap that with a little creativity we can uncover its hidden charm!

See ya down the junkin' road!!


Jan

12 comments:

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

The storage cabinet is adorable! Love the stencil! Yes - I would like to repaint some old furniture that I have...just trying to decide what to begin with first....

Good luck on your next hunt!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I hope you find some great pieces to restore and restyle!!!

Calypso In The Country said...

Hi Jan!
I am happy to be able to leave a message because your blog was one of the ones I was having trouble with! Thanks for commenting on the puppy! We really can't wait to get her! I would love to restyle/repaint some furniture but I always get a little nervous. I don't know why! Love your ideas. Have a great day!
-Shelley

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Yes, with a little vision, pieces with good bones can be brought back to life!

Kate said...

Hi Jan
Your newest friend here stopping by to say hello. Have a wonderful week

warm wishes
Kate

time worn interiors said...

Great transformations!

I love benches made from beds, they are always so useful!

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

tot

Dawn@Making Home said...

I have a bed turned bench in my entry. My daughter's boyfriend made it and I just love it! Your copy cat challenge was awesome too by the way. I tried to comment several times , but the page would go blank. grrrr... I guess a lot of blogs are having this problem.

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

Just found your blog! Such fun!!
I'll be back!
Beth

Angela said...

Such a cute bench :)

Debbie refreshrestyle said...

Love these ideas, I have always wanted to make a bench out of a bed.
Debbie

Pam Kessler said...

The bed is amazing. I think as long as something has a good shape to it, a little paint and elbow grease can work miracles.

Gayle said...

Great ideas, I love the bench made from an old bed frame.